COUNCIL TURNAROUND CASE STUDY
We conducted a whole of organisation culture and salary structure review for Kempsey Shire Council, grounded in a leadership and culture assessment. Council adopted the recommendations of this project, including a whole of organisation capability framework and a comprehensive organisational transformation program: the Rebuilding the Shire Program.
We have supported the management and delivery of the transformation program through several intensive projects, structural change, recruitment, tiered leadership development, and comprehensive progress monitoring.
Here’s the impact of this work on the organisation – now and for the road ahead.
What are staff saying now?
‘The changes in the last 12+ months have been very positive’
They enjoy coming to work:
- ‘We’re making it a place where people want to be’
- ‘Love working here’
- ‘I have never been busier in my role but never happier in it either’
- ‘We are happier than ever and working twice as hard’
- ‘Our work atmosphere is positive and we have a lot of fun while getting our work done’
- ‘It’s definitely a good place to work’
They have effective leaders:
- ‘The leadership has good cohesiveness and unity’
- ‘The leadership team are fabulous and the change is welcome and really enjoyable’
- ‘Some wonderful improvements with the new management’
They’re building a positive, innovative culture:
- ‘The current culture is significantly better than it was in years past’
- ‘Feel very lucky to be a part of KSC and its visions moving forward’
- ‘Some really positive things happening around the organisation’
- ‘There’s renewed energy’
And they’re strengthening both internal and external relationships:
- ‘There has been a significant improvement and change in the organisation and employee relations’
- ‘The community is seeing a change – the image of Council is improving’
- People are ‘more willing to bring the ideas forward and they work a lot harder’
- The union relationship is ‘the best I’ve ever experienced in my working life’
- ‘The administration has the support of the councillors’
- Establishment of new leadership team empowered to sustainably lead the program through formalised program governance
- Development of service models to document and transition each service to the desired future state on a consistent basis
- Recruitment of senior leaders, including Leadership Capability Assessments using a custom capability framework. The assessment was against objective criteria and testing real skills using detailed scenarios
- Delivery of Diploma Leadership and Management to Kempsey’s managers, and subsequently delivery of Certificate IV Leadership and Management to its junior leaders, through our partnership with the Australian College of Mining, RTO no. 110084
CHART A NEW COURSE TODAY
Want to know more about our programs and how they can benefit your organisation? Talk to us today and we’ll help you find the change you seek.
SEE THE DIFFERENCE WE MAKE
Across a range of sectors, LKS Quaero is the ideal partner to help bring about the change you seek.